Time to Use Your Skills Tag (Balance Skill Review)
This activity directs students to recall and use many types of locomotor skills. It allows them a chance to use fitness skills and interact with each other as they use safe moving skills. Students are asked to use personal responsibility to follow the rules of the game.
- Say to students, Let’s get moving together to warm-up and use some of the balancing skills we learned/practiced earlier this year! Our warm-up is called, Time to Use Your Skills Tag.
- Share with them the following:
- They will move all throughout the designated activity area when the music starts.
- They should use their awareness to try to stay away from the two players designated as the taggers.
- If they get tagged, they should exit the playing area and go to the skill practice area.
- In the skill practice area, they will choose one of their balance skills to try and practice it for 30 counts.
- After completing the locomotor, they may return to gameplay.
- Ask students to recall the various balancing skills they can remember learning throughout the year. (Call on students to share/demonstrate).
- Choose two students to be the taggers in the first round of the game and give them safe tagging tools.
- Direct the other students to spread out in activity area in personal space.
- Begin music to begin movement.
- Circulate and encourage best-effort play and best-effort practice.
- Stop the music after 3 minutes of play.
- Choose new taggers for a new round of the game and repeat gameplay.