Practice and PLAY, Go and Show
This activity reinforces classroom protocols and identifies areas of the activity space while exploring the Fun-damentals of moving (balance, locomotor, and object control) through promotion of choice and self-expression. Equipment and procedure were introduced and practiced in the Skill Development.
- When the music is playing, students can Practice and PLAY around the space using any equipment they choose. Tell them they can also switch equipment during this time.
- When the music stops you will call out a freeze position and then call out a Go and Show area that they will move to that they learned in the warm-up. (e.g., stop music, Stand and Freeze, center circle, Sit and Freeze)
- Explain that when the music starts again, they can choose whichever equipment they want to move with next.
- Start music. Continue the activity, encouraging Purposeful PLAY while walking around and interacting with students about their chosen equipment and moves.
- Pause music every 1-2 minutes and call out a Go and Show direction (e.g., Sit and Freeze, endline, Stand and Freeze).
Instruct students to put equipment back to its starting position and move safely to the center circle and stand on it.