Warm Up: March, Meet, and Move with Fast Feet (Over/Under/Around/Through)
This warm-up activity allows students to begin moving at a moderate pace, using the skill of high knee marching and challenges them to move at a faster pace and use fast/coordinated footwork. It prompts them to use various movement levels by going over/under/around/through simple obstacles. Students are expected to work well with each other throughout the activity.
Remind students that in this warm-up, called March, Meet and Move with Fast Feet, they will try to do the high knee march while moving all around in the general activity space.
Review proper form for marching: Stand strong/tall through your head and torso, Lift the knees up to waist height while alternating with a medium hard foot placement on the floor.
Remind them that they will also challenge themselves to move more quickly by completing the stutter step.
Review proper form for the narrow stance-stutter step: Stand with feet shoulder width apart, heels slightly lifted, knees bent, move the feet rapidly from one foot to the other (stuttering)
- When you call aloud, meet and move with fast feet, they should stop marching and turn towards the person/s closest to them.
- They will then focus on doing the stutter step together as quickly as they can, continuing until they hear you call out, move with your march.
- After your cue, they will begin marching and moving around the general space again. This pattern will continue for one song.
- You would like them to practice moving/marching in different ways by moving over/under/around/through different obstacles. Demonstrate how they could move over/under/around/through the hoops/hurdles that you have placed throughout the activity space.
- They should be aware of their personal space while moving around the general space.
- They should be using safe moving skills and not bumping/banging or slipping/sliding into others.
- They should also try to work well with others they “meet up” with by cooperating and encouraging each other.
- Start music to begin movement.
- Intermittently call aloud, meet and move with fast feet.
- Monitor throughout the activity space and encourage lots of movement and moving over/under/around/through hoops/hurdles..
- Continue activity with intermittent cues for 3-5 minutes or one song.
When warmup is completed ask students to place a flat palm over their heart and give a thumb’s up hand signal if they can feel the heart doing its job. Then ask students to move safely to their team position.